Friday, 9 May 2008

Wildflower Cake

Let me just tell you, right here and now, that I have just a wee bit of a Nordic Ware baking pan obsession. All the shapes and sizes and patterns... I have been know to fondle and admire the pans even when I have no plans for baking. I am quite sure that they love me back.
Even Hubby has learned not to try to get in between me and my Nordic Ware and will acquiesce to the purchase if they are on sale. (The one condition of the hunt, because, let's face it, they are expensive pans.)
Today I got out my wildflower sheet pan to make a cake for the kids at the end of a long week of school. I put coloured sugar in the crevices to highlight the flowers, the rest of the decorating was provided by the contoured pan itself.

Spring Bouquet Cake - from Nordic Ware - for a 9x11 cake pan.
3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease cake pan. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat together butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. At low speed, alternately beat flour mixture and milk into butter mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan and smooth surface. Bake cake until a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack to cool completely.

Now, before you think that I am having a one track affair with this company, let me also share with you that my baking pan collection extends far beyond Nordic Ware. Tart pans, springform, silicone, cast iron and baguette forms all hold a special place in my heart. They are art with funcion, they talk to me. Whereas some people might find a recipe and decide what pan to bake it in, I choose the pan I want to use and find a recipe to highlight it. It's a big world, I know I can't be alone in this. There must be others living month to month, just waiting for their next fix, I mean pan.