Wednesday, 7 May 2008

The Zone

There are nights when I am in the kitchen keeping so many plates spinning in the air that I start amazing even myself. I've mixed and rolled and cut the pasta, kneaded and fermented and baked the bread, made the salad and the dressing, and created a sauce for the pasta. All while writing down what I'm doing. This is the one area in my life where I am coordinated, where I don't fall apart under pressure.
A glass of Cab Sauve, puppies watching happily from their little beds, this is when I am in my element.
Usually I'll have the Food Network on in the background. Hubby put in a little tv for the kitchen since I spend so much time here. I don't have a lot of time to really concentrate on what they are making, so it doesn't bother me when they repeat the shows. It takes a few viewings for me to figure out what they are doing anyway.
I don't feel this bliss when I have to follow a recipe, or when I am entertaining. Then I usually over-plan and second guess myself. But leave me alone in my kitchen to cook for my family and I am in my element.
I believe it was Gloria Steinem who said that a man can't possibly appreciate a woman's spending the whole day in the kitchen making him dinner. I prefer Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) telling Jeffrey that her whole purpose in life is to make him a good dinner!
Is it my whole purpose in life? I guess not, but it is certainly what makes me feel good and what could be better than that?