Thursday, 12 June 2008

Barefoot Blogging - Pasta, Pesto and Peas - How Bad Can That Be?

Let me just start by saying I love the Barefoot Contessa. I love the name - I know she inherited it with the store but still, it is fabulous, and if I was known by that title I could die happy.
I love her home, her lifestyle and her openly loving relationship with Jeffrey.
Hubby knows that if we ever win the lottery we are heading to the Hamptons to nestle in with Ina and her friends to discuss herbs, hydrangeas, Paris and cooking.
I have pictures of her on my fridge from when my son and I lined up for hours to meet her last spring at Indigo. (Thanks H, you are my favourite - don't tell your brother and sister)
And I get so happy when anyone compares her to me. It seems the ultimate compliment.
This is the second week of Barefoot Blogging - my first - and we prepared Pasta, Pesto and Peas from page 101 of Barefoot Contessa Parties. For the recipe click here.
I made the recipe pretty much to the letter except that I could not find any bowtie pasta. We seem to be in the middle of a city wide shortage. Perhaps climate change has affected the bowtie crops. It is too bad as bowties are my favourite of the shaped pastas.
Other than that it was simple and quick to make. It really does make a fair amount so if there are only two of you you may want to halve the recipe. I like the way the pesto is diluted with the spinach and lemon juice as I find pesto straight to be rather strong. I liked the crunch of the pigniolis and would also try it with toasted almond slivers in the future. I know that some of my BB friends cut back on the mayo but I went with the full amount and found that it blended in nicely.
All in all it was a pretty good side dish. Nice with a BBQ or picnic. I would make it again.