Wednesday, 4 June 2008

Coconut Lime Rice Pudding - by Coconut&Lime

In celebration of her 700th blogiversary Rachel of Coconut and Lime has invited her friends, fans and followers to recreate one of her numerous tasty original recipes.
Looking in my fridge, I had precious little to work with as it is two days before shopping day. I did have limes though..... and coconut. So I decided to make one of hubby's favourite desserts - rice pudding. Coconut-Lime Rice Pudding, to be exact.

From Coconut & Lime
Coconut-Lime Rice Pudding
Ingredients:1/3 cup white basmati rice
14 oz can coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lime zest*
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 lime, quartered (optional)

Directions:In a small bowl soak rice in about 2/3 cup of cold water for 30 minutes.
Drain rice.
In a medium sized saucepan bring coconut milk, milk, rice, sugar, and salt to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, for about 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
It should have cooked down to a thick, creamy texture.
Remove from heat and stir in lime zest.
Serve with lime wedges.
Delicious warm or chilled.

*For plain coconut rice pudding omit lime zest

I did use the lime zest and I threw in ½ cup of shredded coconut for good measure. The rice pudding came out creamy and perfumed. And hubby, if you are reading from work, I swear I don’t know where it all went.

This of course reminds me of the song Coconut, by Harry Nilsson. I have been known to sing along to this song over and over in the car. A friend of hubby gave the CD to me and hubby may never forgive him.
I remember when the muppets did a version of the song on their show in the late 70s. (Don't do the math) Kermit is at the doctor and the longer the sketch and the song goes on, the more the doctor’s office turns into a jungle - the doctor gets similarly evolved into a witch doctor. I love the muppets. Remember when Roger Moore was on it? But I digress...

.........Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both together, Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better, Put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up, Put the lime in the coconut, and call me in the morning.......