Monday, 16 June 2008

Triple Dog Dare - A New Fruit for Natashya

Well, there you have it. Toontz of Okara Mountain has thrown down the gauntlet and triple dog dared all of her food lovin' friends to try a new fruit this month. Try it, buy it, cook it up and write it up. Okay Toontz, you're on - but you didn't say it had to be vegetarian!

On our trip this week to the Asian market we picked up 2 orangey-red persimmons. (at $1.49 each!) Neither hubby nor I had any idea what they tasted like, but this, of course, did not stop me from writing a recipe around them before trying them.

I decided that since we got them from the Asian market (which seemed to also carry Caribbean foods) they must go well with Asian and Caribbean flavours. Sort of a grows together, goes together type of reasoning.

I took them home and made a honey-persimmon glaze for some nice pork ribs that hubby had picked up. At first hubs was wary of giving up his ribs for my "experiment" but he soon came around. (Best not anger the one who feeds you.)

The ribs turned out great, a wonderful mix of sweet and hot. But the persimmon... sort of got lost in the flavourings. I would have lost points on Iron Chef for not showcasing the secret ingredient. Persimmons, I have found, taste like melon and honey while looking a bit like a tomato. They are mild and refreshing and I think that if I bought them again - which I will - I would put them in a salsa - chunky.

Here is my recipe for honey persimmon glazed ribs, very tasty indeed.

Honey Persimmon Glazed Ribs - serves 2 starving people or 4 polite people

Glaze
2 orange persimmons, peeled
1 whole habanero pepper
1 tsp salt
5 tbsp honey
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Blend together until smooth. Can be made ahead.
Ribs
2 centre cut racks of pork ribs
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line large roasting pan with foil. Salt and pepper ribs all over and lay on foil in roaster. Cover with more foil and bake 1½ hours. Let cool slightly.
Get hunky guy to finish ribs off on the BBQ, slathering with glaze.
Garnish with cilantro leaves. Eat with fingers.