Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie - Mixed Berry Cobbler

For this week's Tuesdays with Dorie, Beth of Our Sweet Life has chosen the Mixed Berry Cobbler on pages 416-417 of Baking, from my home to yours. You can visit her site for the recipe and to see how her cobbler turned out.

I know some of my TWD friends did not care for the biscuit crust but I quite enjoyed it. I made the crust exactly to the recipe, I just found that I needed a touch more cream to make it come together. For the mixed berries - I had just purchased three bags of frozen fruit to keep on hand, 1 raspberry, 1 strawberry and 1 mango. Dorie advised against the strawberry as she found them too watery for this cobbler so I mixed some of the mango in with the raspberry for contrast.

This was a nice, simple dessert and my family loved it. We served it with a mixed berry frozen yogurt on the first night and the next day I found hubby eating it straight out of the pie dish - a very good sign.

The only thing that I would change about this recipe is the volume of fruit. I felt that it could handle more - especially as the crust is quite substantial. The recipe originally calls for 5 cups but I would go to at least 6 - provided your dish is deep enough.

All in all this dessert was very successful, a simple go-to confection that I would make regularly. A relief after my peppermint cream puff heartbreak. And for those of you who sympathized with my saga, the fridge is running fine now and is pretending that nothing ever happened.



Please feel free to check out the TWD blogroll in the side column of the TWD website to see how the rest of the gang fared.