Thursday, 10 July 2008

Barefoot Blogging - Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Muffins


It's Barefoot Blogging day! Every 2nd and 4th Thursday a group of fun lovin' and highly attractive bloggers tackle Ina Garten's (aka the Barefoot Contessa) recipes and share our results. The recipes are all from her 5, soon to be 6, cookbooks and most can be found online at the Food Network website.
Wanna play? Click here to join in the fun.

This week we made Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread from Barefoot Contessa at Home, page 154. It was chosen by Sabrina and Alexander of Cooking with the Kids - how cool is it that the kids are cooking?


I made the cornbread the other day and, as I had read some of the comments about the softness of the bread, I decided to make it in my muffin tins for crunch.

The Good - The corn muffins were very tasty indeed. They had a good crunch outside, great flavour - I was generous with the jalapeno and green onions - and tender crumb. It is true that the ratio of flour to cornmeal made them more bready or cakey than traditional cornbread but I was fine with that. Hubby gave them 2 thumbs up.


The Bad - due to the high oil content of the muffins, and perhaps because I should have not filled them so high, they dripped cheezy buttery oil all over the oven and smoked out the kitchen. I put a cookie sheet under them when I saw what was happening but some still made it to the bottom of the oven. They still tasted great though!

The Ugly - I forgot about the state of my poor oven by yesterday and preheated the oven to 450 for some baguettes and went out onto the deck with the puppies to watch the rain. When I came in 15 minutes later the air was on the smokey side and the smoke alarm was sounding furiously.

The Outcome - the corn muffins were wonderful, the baguettes too. The dogs are over the sound of the alarm and I made dessert last night in the toaster oven. Clean the oven has been added to the honeydew list and all is well in Casa de Puppies.