Wednesday, 30 July 2008

The Daring Bakers - Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream

The Daring Bakers strike again! This time the lovely bakers have created Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream from Great Cakes by Carol Walter, as chosen by Chris from Mele Cotte.

Imagine, all over the world, cakes being made from the same recipe. Click here to see the recipe on the Mele Cotte website and to see how Chris's turned out.

I am a mad, bad, and dangerous to know, Daring Baker type. Which is to say, I just finished my cake about six hours ago. What slows me down? Fear. I am afraid of some recipes and this one was a recipe that contained about seven other recipes. Sugar syrup, apricot glaze, praline buttercream, filbert genoise, ganache glaze, whipped cream. Crazy.

So, how did I do? All in all, not too bad. I halved the recipe and used a six inch springform pan. Most of the steps turned out except for the buttercream. It was against me from the beginning. I followed the directions but it would not be appeased. I did use it in the layers of the cake but did not pipe it on top as it had the consistency of ricotta cheese - although it tasted great!

This cake will not win any beauty contests but let me assure you, it was delish!

Click here for the Daring Bakers blogroll to see how the other amazing baking folk fared.