Friday, 4 July 2008

In Which I Finally Use My Ebelskiver Pan From Christmas


As I have mentioned before, I have been type-cast and receive kitchen related gifts for every holiday. I am more than fine with this but I do have one shameful secret - I am quite often afraid to try them out right away. I don't know if I am afraid of failing with them or wrecking them but more often than not they will sit in my kitchen for months before I approach them.

This was the case with my ebelskiver pan that I got for Christmas. It has been sitting in the cupboard ever since - but now that hubby has built me a pot rack it is hanging out in the open, staring at me accusingly.

On this summer day with only my oldest son home to experiment on, out came the pan. It is a cast iron pan with 7 little wells for making 3 dimensional pancakes, brownies, cornbread or whatever you wish. The original ebelskiver is Danish and has an apple filling but really you are only limited by your own imagination.


My first couple of attempts were not so great, I over filled the wells and had a hard time flipping them. By the time I got to the 3rd or 4th batch I had the rhythm. My son just ate them like pancakes with icing sugar and maple syrup, no filling. He's not big on experimenting with his foods. I filled a few with whipping cream and thought that that was pretty fun. My younger son would have loved that idea. The amount of oil used makes this style of pancakes almost deep fried and this will have to be relegated to the once-in-a-while category of foods.

I look forward to learning some of the other recipes in the booklet and also the traditional Danish ebelskiver recipes.

Classic Pancake Puff Mix - From the Pancake Puffs Recipe Book

2 egg whites
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup vegetable oil or melted butter for frying


Beat the whites stiff. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last. Put 1 tbsp oil or melted butter in the bottom of each slot. Fill wells 3/4 full with batter. When they get bubbles on top and dry at the edges (like pancakes), turn them quickly (using the included turning sticks - bamboo skewers). Continue cooking, turning pancake puffs until golden brown. Serve hot with butter, jam, apple sauce, syrup or cinnamon and sugar.

Mine is the one that is on the infomercials although hubby found it at Linens'n'Things for about 1/2 the price. Nordic Ware also makes a cast aluminum one.

For more ebelskiver recipes try here, here, here, and here.