Tuesday, 1 July 2008

TWD - Apple Cheddar Scones

It's Tuesday! That means it's time for Tuesdays with Dorie. Baking our way through her amazing book - Baking from my home to yours. If you don't have this book already, treat yourself to it. It is a must have for any baker.

This week Karina of The Floured Apron has chosen Apple Cheddar Scones on page 32. If you would like to see the recipe, please click on her website.

I made these last night while munching on the extra dried apples. I have made scones before and know that they have to come together pretty quickly. They don't like to be handled too much and they need to stay cold. Thus, I don't have any "making of" shots and only ones of baked scones.

I used my muffin scoop for the scones rather than pat them out and cut them, it seemed easier. I'm not sure if it was my oven but they were rather dark on the bottom when I rescued them at 18 minutes. I might go 16 next time, certainly they would not have survived the 20-22 minutes stated in the recipe.

This recipe for scones can be paired with both sweet and savoury meals. You could serve it with quiche and bacon or with tea and jam. All in all pretty tasty, even if they were a little dark. The insides were light and fluffy and the apple and cheddar fairly mild in flavour. A good scone recipe for the arsenal.

To see how the other TWD members fared, check out the blogroll on the side of the TWD website.