Tuesday, 22 July 2008

TWD - Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler


Ah Tuesday, was there ever a sweeter day?

This week Amanda from Like Sprinkles on a Cupcake has selected Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler on page 415 of Dorie Greenspan's amazing book: Baking, from my home to yours. If you would like to see the recipe, please visit her site.

I quite liked the last cobbler that we did - the blueberry with the biscuit topping - and was excited about this one.


I found an orchard shop outside of our town that sold frozen fruit in large bags for a good price. I now have enough fruit to last the summer baking season! It is funny reading the others' comments about not knowing rhubarb or not being able to find it. It is almost a weed up here, once established in you garden it will outlive you and your grandchildren.

Unfortunately we live in the world's smallest house so I don't have room to grow it myself but I am now the proud owner of a large bag of frozen rhubarb.


This recipe starts in the food processor. Dorie is the reason my food processor now just lives on the counter. It is getting a good work-out.


There is a mix of white and whole wheat flour in the crust. While our tummies are probably the better for it, I found the whole wheat to make it taste a little "bready". I do prefer the previous cobbler and would probably do that one again rather than this one. We did, however, find that it tasted better this morning straight out of the fridge. (Yeah, we do that, hedonists that we are.) We preferred the firmer texture of the crust that chilling gave it. It went especially well with the leftover Fig&Honey ice cream!


To see how the others did, check out the blogroll here.