Tuesday, 8 July 2008

TWD - Double Crusted Blueberry Pie

Tuesday is the sweetest day. This week in Tuesdays With Dorie, Amy of South in Your Mouth has selected Double Crusted Blueberry Pie on pages 361-363 of Baking from my home to yours.

As always, this is a great recipe. But this was also very well timed as blueberries have been on sale in my neck of the woods. Serendipity at it's finest. Dorie starts us off with a good go-to crust, a layer of breadcrumbs on the bottom of the pie to soak up the juices and a generous serving of ripe blueberries to awaken our senses.

I had my mise en place going on - everything laid out so that I could bake unhindered when I realized that I didn't have my lemon. I had specifically bought 1 lemon for the task. (Lemons being almost a dollar each here this summer!!) I searched the fridge, shoving produce here and there and cursing hubby under my breath as by now I was sure that he had procured said lemon to use for his own purposes, likely in a gin and tonic. In defeat, I used an orange.

I have a feeling that my oven is running a little hot these days as my pie was done about 15 minutes before the hour was up but the crust was perfect. I know that ring around the edge looks a little dark, but I assure you - it was only the last millimeter that over browned. The bottom and centre were golden and glistening. The funny thing was that I was sure I had a pie crust protector. One of those rings that sits on the edges of your pie to keep it from getting too dark. I looked in all of my drawers of cooking accessories (yes, I said all) and could not find it. This would not be the first time I couldn't remember if I actually owned an item or was so used to seeing it every day at work that I thought I owned it.

The final verdict of the baked pie? Very good. My only wish is that my blueberries had more flavour. This has nothing to do with the recipe but I have found that the big, plump berries at the grocers are remarkably mild in flavour. I would like to try this again with wild blueberries. As it was only the two of us eating it, it lasted in the fridge a couple of days. Any other crust would have disintegrated but this crust maintained it's shape and great flavour. Definitely a winner. I can't wait until next Tuesday.

Oh, and the lemon? It rolled out at me and all but stuck out it's tongue when I went to make dinner.
Check out the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll on the sidebar of the TWD site to see how the others fared.