Tuesday, 29 July 2008

TWD - Nectarine Galette

The sweetest day.

Michelle from Michelle in Colorado Springs selected Summer Fruit Galette on pages 366 - 367 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours. Seriously, if you do not have the book - go buy it. I will wait. It is a must for the collection.

(Buddha stickie note guarding my nectarines)

A galette is like a free form pie, sans pie dish, and I had never made a proper one before. Nectarines were on sale so they got to be my main ingredient. I just made the dough, halved the nectarines, tarted up the dough with some graham crumbs and strawberry/rhubarb jam and placed the nectarine halves cut side down, leaving a border around the edge. The edge gets folded in and it gets popped into the oven. Meanwhile you make a custard and when the galette is almost ready, pour the custard in. In my case I had to spoon out some juices to fit the custard but that's ok, they were delicious.

My daughter was home and she said that it was the best thing that she had ever eaten. The three of us finished it in 24 hours. I would definitely make this again.

Check out the Tuesdays With Dorie blogroll to see how the others fared.