Sunday, 20 July 2008

When Life Gives You Figs....


Two days ago hubby brought me home a half flat of figs. They were on sale as some were going a little soft. He knows that I have a special place in my heart and kitchen for soft fruit - ice cream!
Inspired by my last posted dessert of figs, cheese and honey - I decided to make a Fig&Honey ice cream. I served it with toasted almond slices, a fresh fig half and a drizzle of honey on top.

This is the sort of dessert that makes you want to lay back on your chaise while honey-toned attendants fan you with rushes and leaves and the sweet, salty scent of the ocean tickles your nostrils.


Fig&Honey Ice Cream

16 oz very ripe black figs, woody stems removed.
½ cup liquid honey
Pinch of salt
½ cup milk
3 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups whipping cream

In a small/medium bowl whisk yolks, ¼ cup sugar and vanilla, set aside.
In food processor blend figs, milk, salt and honey.
In medium pot, heat cream on medium, stirring, until almost bubbling.
When cream is up to temperature, add some to yolk mixture, spoonful by spoonful, whisking constantly until you have added about half a cup.
Reduce heat to medium/low, add yolk mixture to pot and heat 5 minutes more, stirring gently but constantly.
Remove from heat and stir in fig mixture.
Pour into a lidded container and refrigerate overnight.
Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions. Freeze at least 4 hours before eating.


Lie back and listen to the waves lapping the shore and feel the sunshine kissing your skin.


*In support of my local honeybees and honeybee keepers, I buy Ontario honey. The honey I used for this recipe is from Herbguy's Honey House, which I picked up at the farmer's market.


This ice cream is my contribution to the Anonymous New York Ice Cream Contest. You still have time to play along!