Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Whisk Wednesdays: Veloute Agnes Sorel and another Meme.


This week's lesson from Le Cordon Bleu At Home is Veloute Agnes Sorel.
Cream of Chicken Soup Agnes Sorel. Pages 444,445.

The recipe starts with a history lesson that I will share with you.

"Agnes Sorel (1422-1450) was a favourite of Charles VII of France. Several dishes have been made in her honour, most of which contain chicken and a garnish that includes ham or tongue. The whiteness of these dishes echoes Agnes's purity, and the red the blushing beauty of 'Dame Sorel.'"


I quite enjoyed this soup. Until last week I had never poached a chicken before and now I have done it again. I am starting to feel like a pro. This soup was heartier and more flavourful than the Julienne Darblay, in part due to my more heavy handedness with the herbs and salt and pepper. I liked the way the ham added a bit of a zing to the chicken soup. I decided on the ham over the tongue as I am a bit squeamish regarding the latter and if old Aggie was so pure she doesn't need any.

I also left the darker parts on the mushrooms as I had creminis and thought it would be a losing battle. I hope that this in no way casts suspicion on Agnes's purity.

I didn't find that the soup thickened much at the end, certainly not enough to coat the back of a spoon. After several minutes I decided to pull it from the heat and not risk separation.

We greatly enjoyed it. It was hearty and satisfying. I served it with some homemade dilled bread and a whipped herb butter.

The book says it serves 6 but I think that if it is the main meal it serves 4.

What did hubby think? He loved it and took the leftovers to work for lunch.


Next week - Bisques de Langoustines.

Check out Whisk: a food blog for the blogroll, detailed instructions on the soup, and information about playing along.
*
Memememe
*
I have been tagged by Debinhawaii from Kahakai Kitchen - here are 29 things you may or may not have wanted to know about me.
(Deb - you are in trouble! You are lucky I love you so much.)

1. Last Movie I Saw In A Movie Theatre?
Iron Man, with my 15 year old son. I love Robert Downey Jr., such a cutie.
2. What Book Are You Reading?
I just finished Ruth Reichl’s Garlic and Sapphires last night. Ruth Reichl is the editor of Gourmet magazine. I also just finished rereading Waiting for Godot (don’t ask me why) and am currently reading Beyond the Great Wall, Alford and Duguid. I am also still in the middle of Crust and Crumb, Peter Reinhart. I am just starting How to Cook a Wolf, MFK Fisher. I have a habit of keeping a lot of balls in the air.
3. Favourite Board Game?
I like Trivial Pursuit. I haven’t played in a while though.
4. Favourite Magazine?
Uh, GourmetBonAppetitSaveurFoodandWine. Martha didn’t make it as, as much as I love the rest of the magazine - I can’t get into the crafting and cleaning. Or that doctor.
5. Favourite Smells?
Good fruit, hubby, garlic and lemon. Rain.
6. Favourite Sounds?
Pugs snoring - too cute!
7. Worst Feeling In The World?
Shame.
8. First Thing You Think of When You Wake?
Why do I have a man who needs to get up at 5 am? Why do they always play the most obnoxious music at 5 am? I have to pee.
9. Favourite Fast Food Place?
Licks! - Hamburgers - Canadian.
10. Future Child’s Name?
If by child you mean puppy - maybe Virgil for a frenchie, Nigella for a black pug, Sailor and Lula for dachshunds.
11. Finish This Statement—“If I Had a Lot of Money,"
I would have a big house in B.C. with lots of land and hired help for the enormous veggie garden that I would have. Also sheep, I would like to make cheese.
12. Do You Drive Fast?
Don’t drive. Sometimes walk fast.
13. Do You Sleep With a Stuffed Animal?
I have one man, two dogs and me on a double bed - no room for stuffed animals.
14. Storms—cool or scary?
Cool! Hubby built me a deck for watching thunderstorms. It has a clear roof.
15. What Was Your First Car?
Pass.
16. Favourite Drink?
Daiquiris
17. Finish This Statement—“If I Had the Time, I Would…"
Travel - assuming I had some money to go with this time.
18. Do You Eat the Stems on Broccoli?
Yes. I don’t like to waste.
19. If You could Dye your Hair Any Other Color, What Would It Be?
Perhaps a rich, dark red. Really I am too lazy and cheap to get my hair done all the time. I am enjoying my silver highlights.
20. Name All the Different Cities In Which You Have Lived -
Toronto. Unless you count being schlepped around by hippie parents for the first several years of my life. Then everywhere.
21. Favourite Sport to Watch?
Ew. No sports.
22. One Nice Thing About The Person Who Sent This To You
Debinhawaii is a lovely lady. She makes delicious meals and is a faithful and supportive friend.
23. What’s Under Your Bed?
Dust - I may like to cook but I don’t much like cleaning. I am tidy however, go figure.
24. Would You Like to Be Born As Yourself Again?
Probably not. Could be worse though. Do I get to choose?
25. Morning Person or Night Owl?
I like the evening. 5pm-10pm.
26. Over Easy or Sunny Side Up?
Over easy, ew to the runny whites.
27. Favourite Place to Relax?
Home. With puppies.
28. Favourite Ice Cream Flavour?
Strawberry or orange.
29. Of All the People You Have Tagged, Who Is the Most Likely to Respond First?
I am still hearing back from the last people that I tagged so I am leaving this one open to all who want to participate.
If you made it this far - you are it!