Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Daring Bakers Bake the Éclairs and Run.


The Daring Bakers Bake the Éclairs and Run. Once a month about a zillion Daring Bakers get together online and bake from the same challenging recipe. This month it is Pierre Hermé's chocolate éclairs with chocolate glaze and chocolate pastry cream. Chocolatey enough for you?

At first I thought I was going to have to name this post Why Does Pierre Hermé Hate Me?
I have made éclairs twice before without too much incident (except for the aching stirring arm!) but this batter was softer and they collapsed when the cooking time was up. I did pop them back in the oven for a few minutes where they plumped up a little bit but they were still fairly deflated. Fine. I put them aside and started on the chocolate syrup, which did not thicken on low after 20 minutes of stirring. I poured it into a measuring glass, covered it, and took the puppies for a walk.

When I got home it was still looking like chocolate water so I put it back into the pot and cooked it, stirring, on medium and finally had success. The glaze and pastry cream came off without a hitch and Pierre was forgiven.

I am an uncoordinated baker. By the time I was finished splitting, piping, glazing and topping the éclairs, I was covered in chocolate like a kid in a mud puddle and so full that I didn’t even want to try one.

I did beam with pride when hubby came home, tired and late from his meeting, and roared with delight when he found them in the fridge. This is what makes it all worthwhile.

Thank you Tony Tahhan and MeetaK for choosing this recipe. If you would like to view the recipe, please visit their sites. Check out the Daring Bakers Blogroll to see how the others did.