Friday, August 29, 2008

Don't Eat The Crust!


Vollkornbrot.
This is what I picked for BreadBakingDay 13 - Whole Grains.

I had to choose a bread that takes a week to make. That I can't pronounce. That would chip a molar. My molar, to be exact.

No one can accuse me of not suffering for my art.

I chose this loaf as it was make of rye flour and wheat berries, perfect for whole grains day. I love the similar loaves you can get at the deli, sliced very thin.


Vollkornbrot - The Laurel Kitchen's Bread Book, pages 147-149.

I am not going to type out the recipe because I don't think that anyone will be inspired to bake it from this post. This book is very well respected and popular and if you bake this exact recipe with different results, I would love to hear about it.

I made the loaf exactly to the recipe and, upon my failure, I read and reread the recipe. I didn't miss a step. I do wonder about the instructions that have it baking in a cold oven on the bottom rack, covered, at 425 for one hour, lower temp to 215 for 2 hours, then uncover and turn heat back up to 425 again for an hour. I am wondering if it should have been moved to the center of the oven for the last hour, although the instructions did not say that.

I had to take it out of the oven before the last hour was over because of the smoke that was coming from the oven.

When it came time to serve it, I sliced (with some difficulty) the black bottoms off and figured the rest would be ok. I served it with some whipped herb butter and dinner on the day my mother was visiting. It smelled really good and I took it's picture, sans bottom.

I sliced it thin and we sat down to eat.

CRUNCH! My mother looked alarmed. "Oh, it's crunchy" she said, when I bit into it. The sides and top were very, very hard. After everyone took a tentative bite, I suggested that they just eat the soft centers and tried to pretend that I did not just shatter a tooth on my own bread.

The centers were very good, just like I had hoped for. The wheatberries were chewy and it had a dense, satisfying mouthfeel with just the right amount of spice.

I carved off the rest of the crust from the other loaves and sliced them very thin. Although I lost much of the bulk of the bread, I was very happy with the flavour of the bread.


BreadBakingDay #13 - 100% Whole Grains is hosted by Jude from Apple Pie, Patis & Pâté.