Saturday, August 16, 2008

Oh, Canada

Come in, come in, so glad you could make it.

Yes, it's fine to park there, let me take your things.

Oh, you won't be needing those skis quite yet, I'll put them in the garage for you. And you must be rather warm in that parka, can I loan you a t-shirt?

Beavers and moose? Well, no, not in this area - perhaps if we drive north into cottage country or go to the zoo.

Let me get you a beer and you can tell me about your trip, Molson Canadian ok?

For dinner we have a nice Canadian salmon fillet. For the glaze I just mixed a little Dijon mustard with maple syrup, canola oil and dill. Then I ground fresh black pepper over the whole side and let it marinate for an hour. Hubby portioned it and grilled it, skin side down (and nicely oiled) in a closed bbq so that the steam would cook the flesh tenderly.



We are serving it on a bed of rutabaga fries, I thought it might be more interesting than potatoes.
The salad? Just some gently steamed Ontario green beans with tomatoes from my garden with one finely chopped shallot, one finely chopped pepper from my garden and one minced garlic clove. I drizzled them with tarragon white wine vinegar and canola oil. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss. I topped it with some toasted almond slices for some extra crunch.



In Canada our summers are short and sweet and we like to make the most of bbq season and local produce. In Ontario, we have the Niagara region that offers exceptional produce and some very fine wines.

Playing in the background? That's Mr. Leonard Cohen. He is a poet/singer from Montreal and the other love of my life. Wonderful isn't he? Hubby and I went to see him in concert in June, I was the girl with the tears in her eyes who knew every word to every song he sang. I will make sure to send you some CDs when you get home.



For dessert? Why don't we try a late harvest Vidal or a Riesling ice wine. Canada is famous for our sweet concentrated wines made from grapes that have been allowed to freeze on the vines. Perfect for a light dessert.

Are you getting sleepy? I have made up the guest bedroom for you and turned on the overhead fan. Summers here are pretty humid but you will find the room comfortable.
And when you wake up, pancakes with Canadian maple syrup and a side of Canadian bacon!



Thanks for joining me for My Kitchen, My World - home. Sleep tight.