Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Soup a L'Oignon Gratinee


For this week's lesson from Le Cordon Bleu at Home we made Soup a L'Oignon Gratinee. Gratineed onion soup or French onion soup.

The recipe is fairly uncomplicated and does not take much more than an hour. Sweating down the onions, adding the roux, wine, herbs and liquid. I am used to using beef stock for French onion soup but this recipe has us using water. The resulting broth is very mild and needed a substantial amount of salt and pepper to wake it up, I found.

I made my own bread for the toasts and made a very light rye with some olive brine, aniseed and caraway. This lent a nice flavour to the soup as did the broiled Gruyere cheese on top. Without these accompaniments, I am afraid it would have been too bland for my tastes. I like big flavour.

However, tarted up with the toasts and cheese, the soup was very good. We used a nice Chardonnay from Niagara and had enough left over for a generous glass each to go with it. Between three of us, we ate most of it in one sitting. Success!

I am glad I tried this version but I do prefer my own. More wine, beef stock, thyme, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, a little heat..... you get the picture.

Check out Whisk: a food blog for step by step instructions, the blogroll and to see how you can join Whisk Wednesdays.