Tuesday, August 5, 2008

TWD - Black and White Banana Loaf


Tuesday is the sweetest day.


For this week's Tuesdays with Dorie, Ashlee of A Year In The Kitchen chose The Black and White Banana Loaf on page 232 of Dorie Greenspan's epic tome - Baking: From My Home To Yours. Please visit Ashlee's site for the recipe and to see how hers turned out.



I made this yesterday, the last day of hubby's vacation. He finished building his latest project - a Mission style daybed for the basement. Any neighbour who stopped by to see the finished product was greeted by the intoxicating smell of baking banana bread.



I do have a negative history with "quick loaves" like banana bread as they never turn out for me in loaf form. They are the reason I have so many mini pans as the full sized loaves always turn out overcooked on the outside and undercooked on the inside. I resisted my natural impulse to make this recipe into mini loaves and decided to trust Dorie. She seemed to have some good ideas when it came to banana bread making. First, the loaf pan sat on a double thickness of cookie sheet. Second, it cooked low and slow. 325 degrees for an hour and a half.

How did it turn out? Perfect!!!! Dorie, I could kiss you. My inability to make a decent full sized banana loaf has been a thorn in this would-be baker's side for over twenty years.



The swirl pattern in the dough is fun, more interesting than the usual chocolate chips. And you really can't mess it up. If you over mix the colours, you just have a uniform look - it will still taste great. I also like that it didn't have too much baking powder in it. It allowed the loaf to remain almost brownie like in texture. This recipe got two thumbs way up.