Sunday, 21 September 2008

Iron Cupcake Basil

If I thought I was a little fish in a big pond before - I may have accidentally drifted into the rapids. I have no business competing with the amazing talent in Iron Cupcake, but you know how I am. I can't resist playing along.

This month's theme ingredient is Basil. Funny for a cupcake, I'll give you that, but I like basil. I have 6 different kinds of it growing on my deck.

At first I was considering mixing and matching my basil but I thought that the differences would be too subtle to discern, so I went with a theme. Thai Garden.

The cupcakes are Thai Basil Carrot and Zucchini. The icing is a Thai Basil Lemongrass Cream Cheese. Oh yeah, they're good.

Thai Basil Carrot and Zucchini Cupcakes - Adapted from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes, Julie Hasson.

Preheat oven to 350f.
Line one regular 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 heaping tablespoon minced fresh Thai Basil
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs

1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup shredded zucchini

1/3 cup milk

1. In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
2. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar and butter until smooth. Switch to spatula and add in shredded carrot and zucchini. Combine well.
3. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in 3 parts, pouring milk in 2 parts between additions.
4. Scoop into muffin pans and bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool and ice.

Thai Basil Lemongrass Cream Cheese Icing - click here for cream cheese icing recipe.

I was fortunate enough to come across a package of powdered lemongrass so I added some, as well as some purple Thai basil flowers, to a basic cream cheese icing.

Voting begins on Sunday, September 28th at noon at No One Puts Cupcake in a Corner. Please vote for whichever cupcake fancies your tickle.

A big thank-you to the sponsors of Iron Cupcake -

ETSY artist METAL SUGAR, as well as to our corporate sponsors HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS , HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, JESSIE STEELE APRONS CUPCAKE COURIER and TASTE OF HOME. These fine folks provide the groovy cupcake themed prizes for Iron Cupcake.