Friday, 12 September 2008

A Loaf of Bread, An Award, and Thou


What could be better than focaccia? Bread + herbs + olive oil + salt? Brilliant! So what could be better than a loaf of focaccia? Two loaves of focaccia, and easy to make loaves to boot.

In A Year in Bread, three bakers bake 36 loaves of bread in 12 months. Give or take. Wanna bake along with them? Just do it! The recipes are posted for all to participate.

I found this recipe for focaccia and baked it last night. It was the lightest, flakiest focaccia I have ever baked and hubby immediately declared it his favourite. I have never baked bread with wine in it before and was very pleased with the results. If you are a focaccia lover like myself, I suggest you give it a try.

I found A Year in Bread through Susan of Farmgirl Fare. Susan has done what many of us dream of, escape the city and live the country life. Complete with livestock, vast vegetable gardens and a burgeoning artisan bread business.

Of course, as picturesque as this may sound - it is an awful lot of hard work, from sun up to sun down. As much as I feel I would love this life, every time I leave ripe tomatoes on the vine because a big spider is blocking them, or drop the hose and run into the house because something is rustling under the potting table - I realize that I am not a country girl, I just don't have the guts.

So, I get my country fix reading Farmgirl Fare. It amazes me that Susan has the time to photograph and write about her experiences and recipes, let alone teach breadcraft online. If you have not had a chance to check out Farmgirl Fare, I suggest you add it to your reader, you will not be disappointed. Susan will make you feel like a guest at her farm and teach you about a life you have only dreamed of. (Plus, if she likes you, she calls you Breadie. So much better than Sweetie or Honey!)



Earlier this week, Usha of Veg Inspirations was so kind as to give me the Good Job Award, I thought that there would be no one better to pass it to than Susan.