Friday, 26 September 2008

My Kitchen, My World - India


This week in My Kitchen, My World Aunt Lolo of the Chow Review chose India. This was perfect for us as Indian cuisine is one of my go-to dinners for my vegetarian daughter. Plus, there is the added benefit of the whole home smelling like wonderful spices.

I decided to make a curry from a book on my bookshelf - Indian: Shortcuts to Success by Das Sreeharan.


Spicy Eggs with Eggplant and Spinach

6 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
4 tbsp vegetable oil
3 onions, peeled and sliced lengthwise
3 medium-hot green chili peppers, minced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
few curry leaves
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp hot chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
3 tomatoes, finely sliced
4 baby eggplants, quartered
1 cup baby spinach leaves
sea salt


Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok. Add the onions, chilies, garlic, ginger, and curry leaves, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the tomato paste, ground coriander, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, and a little salt. Cook, stirring, for one minute.

Add the tomatoes, eggplants, and spinach leaves. Cover and cook, stirring from time to time, for 6-7 minutes or until the sauce has blended well with the eggplants and spinach.

Add the hard-boiled eggs to the pan and let them heat through gently in the sauce for about 5 minutes before serving.


My changes - I added more spices and salt, so adjust to your own taste. My eggplant needed longer to cook, but that was fine. I sliced the eggs in half - which was very good. I have never made a curry with hard boiled eggs in it and we all agreed that it was very tasty.

Served with - vegetable basmati rice, lentil dal, and malabar parathas (bread). Oh, don't forget an nice jar of mango pickle or lime pickle with your dinner - Patak's is wonderful. And hot!

Normally there would be a yogurt dish as a tongue cooler but my daughter is lactose intolerant and, as I made this dinner especially for her, I left it out.

Check out My Kitchen, My World to see how the others did or to join in the fun of cooking from all around the world.

I just woke up to say Hi! to Megan and Melissa, who miss me.