Tuesday, 23 September 2008

TWD - Dimply Plum Cake


Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Michelle of Bake-en selected Dimply Plum Cake on page 41. The recipe can be found on her site.
In case you have been living in an experimental ecopod or otherwise incarcerated, I am talking about page 41 of Dorie Greenspan's wonderful baking guide, Baking: From My Home to Yours. Don't have it? Get it. 'Nuff said.


I fell in love with plum cakes earlier this year when my lady Martha published one. Now hear me out. Plums are a risk. Go to the nearest megamart and shell out good money for a bag of them and you don't know what you'll get. Tart, mealy, unripe, too ripe. They don't just mellow out like bananas, plums can be a heartbreak. Enter the plum cake, the great plum equalizer. Press those babies down in a nice batter and tuck them into the oven. Sometime later you have tender, juicy plummy goodness. Heavenly.


Dorie puts her own spin on this classic cake by flavouring it with orange zest and cardamom. A pleasing flavour combo that I came across a couple of months ago with the Daring Bakers' Danish Braid. How does it match with said plumminess? Just perfectly, that's how.


To make this plum cake easily transportable for my two commuters, I baked it muffin style in a Texas sized muffin tin. My plums were very large, had they been little I would probably have used the regular sized tin. The extra large tins made 10 muffins with this recipe.


This is a great recipe. Definitely in the top 5 so far. Check out the blogroll to see how the others fared.