Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Whopping Chocolate Overload


Tuesday is the sweetest day.

For this week in Tuedays with Dorie, Rachel of Confessions of a Tangerine Tart chose Chocolate Whopper Malted Drops on page 85 of Dorie Greenspan's great baking companion, Baking: From My Home to Yours. Please click on her link for the recipe.

This one took a bit of shopping. Malted milk powder? What on earth is that? I did finally find Ovaltine at a grocers. Perhaps I have led a sheltered life.

Whoppers I remember. I didn't find regular ones but the bulk store had giant ones, about double the size. As we were to chop them up anyway, I picked them up. Plus a few extra to sample for quality control.

Now we have chocolate Ovaltine, 2 cups of chocolate whoppers, cocoa powder and, in case you were worried they were lacking in chocolate - a cup full of chocolate chips!

This recipe made about 44 cookies. I used my cookie scoop and left them in for about 11 minutes, rotating the trays after 6. My family likes soft cookies.

They turned out great, moist and cakey with molten chocolate and crunchy whopper bits.

I do have a confession to make though. I am not a chocolate girl. I will eat it but it is not my fave. Fortunately the rest of the house loves it so all is well at casa de puppies. Personally, I am looking forward to the plum cake, yum!