Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Blanquette de Veau a l'Ancienne


White Veal Stew with Onions and Mushrooms.
Ok, White Pork Stew with Onions and Mushrooms. I guess that makes it Blanquette de Porchette a l'Ancienne.

Last week's lesson in Whisk Wednesdays was for this white stew. I could not find veal so I used pork. I know, I know, I am running one week behind - but I swear, Shari does not mind - she is very cool that way.

Eight cups of water are simmered with celery, carrot, bay leaf, peppercorns, a clove, onions, parsley and thyme. 3 1/2 lbs of white meat, cut into 2 inch chunks are added and simmered for 45 minutes. The meat is removed, the stock strained and a roux is made in the pot. Add the stock in slowly, whisking, and return the meat to the pot. Add salt. Simmer an hour or more, until meat is tender.

Cook 10oz of pearl onions in a separate pot and 12oz mushrooms in another separate pot..... Oh hell no! Life is too short for all those separate pots, the onions and mushrooms went into the pot with the thickened stock and meat for the last half hour. The stew is finished with lemon juice, creme fraiche and an egg yolk. (I left out the egg yolk as the stew had to sit and wait for the commuters to come home)

The point of the stew is to be a vision in white and I think that I accomplished this. The flavour was actually quite good. Please see Whisk: a food blog for the recipe information on this dish.

Whisk Wednesdays is an at home culinary learning community following Le Cordon Bleu at Home and organized by Whisk: a food blog. Check out Whisk for instructions on the dish, the blogroll and to find out how you can play along.