Wednesday, 15 October 2008

Halloween Blog Party - Gross Anatomy

In which I remember that my cake decorating skills are non-existent.

For this Halloween blog party, I pictured making giant eyeballs on legs. Sort of like the monster from Monster's Inc. In decorating my cupcakes I realized that the big candies that I had picked up out for the eyes were too small to put just one on each monster. So I put two. And pupils. And teeth. They don't look so much like giant eyeball monsters as odd nightmare clowns. So be it.

The important thing? They taste really good. I made them in more adult flavours as I had just done a huge batch of chocolate peanut butter cupcakes for the kids and was looking for a different taste.

I made Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes with Green Ginger Cream Cheese Icing. I thought that the green plus the little chunks of ginger gave sort of a warty look to the cupcakes. (This might not show up in the picture.)

Lemon Buttermilk Cupcakes - 125 Best Cupcake Recipes, Julie Hasson

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
2 egg whites
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp pure lemon extract
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1. In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
2. In stand mixer, beat sugar and butter until well combined. Add egg whites, beat until combined. Add lemon zest, extract and beat well.
Stir in 1/3 flour mixture, 1/2 lemon juice, 1/3 flour mixture, 1/2 lemon juice, 1/3 flour mixture. Stir gently after each addition. Stir in lemon juice an combine until just smooth.
3. Pour into prepared cupcake tins and bake 20-25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.

(Green) Ginger Cream Cheese Icing

4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
2 1/4 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch salt
green food colouring

Beat cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar, bit by bit, until blended in. Add crystallized ginger, ginger powder, salt, and food colouring. Beat slowly to combine. Adjust colour to you own liking. Frost cupcakes.

And for some refreshment for the grown-ups in the crowd? Why the Devil's own brew, of course. Fresh from the Great Lakes Brewery. (Available in the LCBO, Ontario)

Devil’s Pale Ale:
"Released in the fall of 2006, this was our first seasonal ale. However, the incredible response prompted us to make it available all year long on draught and in 473 ml cans. Brewed with 6 select malts and 4 premium hops, it has a rich mahogany colour, reminiscent of early English pale ales. The wonderful hoppy aroma is revealed even before your first sip, followed by a hearty malty body, and culminating with a pronounced bitterness. Prepare yourself for a devilishly good time..."

I decorated the beer mugs with construction paper jack-o-lantern faces a la Martha Stewart.

So, even though I decorate cakes like a 5 year old - I am bringing my treats to the Blog Party at The Happy Sorceress of Dispensing Happiness . What am I wearing? It's a surprise, but let me tell you one thing - the Devil is in the details......