Tuesday, 7 October 2008

I made Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake!


Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy chose Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake on pages 264 and 265 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: from my home to yours. Please visit Tammy's site if you wish to see the recipe.

Oh Dorie, have I told you lately that I love you? You know I have fears, irrational fears. Making caramel was one of them. For any other woman, I might have chickened out. But you, Dorie, you are a gentle and nurturing teacher. For you - I made caramel.




I boiled sugar and did not burn it. I added cream and butter while it spattered away. I felt like a mad scientist. And I only got one blister to show for it. A little one.

My caramel is the deepest of amber and, let me tell you, I am a proud woman. Calls were made - people had to be made aware of my great accomplishment - emails were sent.

Yes, my family members were good enough to cheer my great deed. I can die happy.



If today just so happened to be your birthday, I would say a very happy birthday to you! ;)

In my fear of this recipe, I made the cake layer in the morning and the caramel in the afternoon. I find it makes my mind easier to break up a recipe. (This may be why I find bread easier than cakes - lots of time between steps.)





I kept the springform pan around it with the parchment collar until just before serving. It was oozing, gooey and sticky. Not to mention completely addictive. I can't stop licking my fingers.

Check out the Tuesdays with Dorie Blogroll to see how the others did.