Wednesday, 15 October 2008

Merlans Colbert - Fish and Chips, Hold the Chips.

This week in Whisk Wednesdays, we made Merlans Colbert from pages 290-292 of Le Cordon Bleu at Home. Deep fried whiting with tartar sauce. Now, having no whiting in the vicinity, I chose tilapia. And, being a wimp, I chose fillets. Life is too short to gut or bone a fish - especially when the fillets are packaged so nicely at the grocer's, just waiting for me.
The cooking of the fish was nothing out of the ordinary - a plate of flour, bowl of eggs (seasoned) and plate of bread crumbs. I used Panko, as I had them on hand. Dip the fillets in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the bread crumbs. Have a warm oven ready with a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and fry those babies up.

I prefer a wok for my deep frying - I do have a deep fryer, it is just a pain in the #$@.

So, no magic you ask? My friend, there was magic - it happened earlier in the form of homemade mayonnaise. Yes - the recipe calls for homemade tartar sauce made from homemade mayo. I took the basic ingredients, egg yolks, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper and put them into the blender. With it whirling, I put an impossible amount of canola oil in. Drip by drip to start, then trickled, then slow pour until it was all in. It was amazing how it all came together and fluffed up like a delicious cloud. And so easy too - I don't know what I was so afraid of. Want to make your own mayo? Click here, here or here. You won't be sorry. (And yes, Megan, that's another one off the list!)

This dinner was very good. I don't make fried fish often enough. I served it on a bed of greens tossed in dressing with the tartar sauce on the side.

Feeling sorry for hubby who clearly didn't get chips with his fish? Don't. We took the pups to the beach earlier in the day and ate a huge pile of them from the french fry truck. One last hurrah before it snows.

Whisk Wednesdays is an at-home culinary learning community following Le Cordon Bleu at Home and organized by Whisk: a food blog. Check out Whisk for instructions on the dish, the blogroll and to find out how you can play along.