Saturday, 25 October 2008

My Kitchen, My World - Cambodia


This week in My Kitchen, My World we have travelled to Cambodia. I figured that I was fairly fortunate as one of the foodie writers that I admire, Tam from Under the Tamarind Trees, is from there and I had many recipes bookmarked from his site. The bad new was that his site is offline for a couple of weeks and I now had no idea what to make!
Even in my innumerable cookbook collection, I could find lots of recipes for Vietnamese and Thai but not for Cambodia. Fortunately I found a couple of recipes on the Internet and decided to make a curried shrimp noodle soup that I found here.

This soup is my favourite kind of soup, hot and noodley and so thick that it barely qualifies as soup!

The changes I made to the dish - I saved the cucumber and added it as a crunchy garnish on top. I reduced the amount of shrimp and bean sprouts and added carrot, mushroom, hot pepper and green onions.

I am actually eating it right now, as I made it this morning!

Num Pachok Kari Pakon (Shrimp curry noodle soup. ) By MyLinh

Ingredients :
8 Cups water
1 Package rice vermicelli noodles
¼ lb Bean sprout, washed and drained
1 Cucumber, peeled and julienne
A handful mint, chopped
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Yellow onion, chopped
1 Large canned coconut milk
2 Cups water
2 Tablespoons curry powder
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
½ Teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
¼ Teaspoon black pepper
1 to 2 lbs Fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 Cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch

Procedures : Put 8 cups water in a large pot, cook till water bubbling, add noodle and cook till noodle tender.
Pour cooked noodle in a colander, rinsed with cold water, drained and set a side. In a large bowl, mix bean sprouts with cucumber and mint leaves together, set a side.
Heat up a soup pot. When soup pot is hot, add oil, saute' garlic and onion, stirs, add coconut milk and 2 cups of water, stirs well.
Seasoning with curry powder, fish sauce, salt, sugar and black pepper, stirs, add shrimp and cook till shrimp turns pink color.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1 cup water, mix well, pour cornstarch mixture in to soup pot, stirs well, simmering till sauce thicken.
Serve hot with noodles, bread or rice.
To serve with noodles: Put some mix vegetables in a bowl, add some cooked noodle on top, pour curry shrimp over and serve immediately.