Wednesday, 22 October 2008

Sole Belle Meuniere, or, I Love Butter


Pan Fried Sole with Nut-Brown Butter and Mushrooms.
This week in Whisk Wednesdays we have fish once again. This is a good thing as the hubby loves fish. The pan frying part was simple enough - I actually used cod fillets as they were on sale. Just season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper, dredge in flour and fry in a mix of olive oil and butter until golden and crispy. But I am getting ahead of myself.

This recipe started with 15 tablespoons of butter. (!) So you know it's going to be good, right?

A little is used to fry the fish, a little is used to fry up some nice, sliced mushrooms on the side - but the bulk of said butter? A little gift from god that I like to call Brown Butter Sauce. I had actually never had it before, let alone made it. But, since my triumph over caramel last month, I am feeling a little more fearless at the stove. Said butter is cooked at a medium/high heat until the foam dies down and it starts to turn colour and smell like candy. Immediately it gets removed from the stove and, in this case, lemon juice is added. A little salt and pepper and it gets applied to dinner - the fish, mushrooms, green beans, cute little colourful potatoes, my fingers... seriously, I had no idea what I was missing.

A couple of nights later I made the brown butter with lime and tossed egg noodles in it... I am addicted. Not sure if there is a twelve-step program for that......


Whisk Wednesdays is an at-home culinary learning community following Le Cordon Bleu at Home and organized by Whisk: a food blog. Check out Whisk for instructions on the dish, the blogroll and to find out how you can play along.