I don't think that many people would disagree that a single serving of dessert, lovingly crafted, is a joy to receive. Tailor that dessert to the receiver's own tastes and you have made a very special gesture indeed.
For this month's Iron Cupcake - Battle Cheese, I have made little mousse-like espresso cheese cupcakes for my sweetie. He is blessedly not all that difficult to please, but I wanted to make that extra effort to cater to his tastes. One of his favourite tastes? Espresso. Every morning, he mans the espresso machine and at 4:45 am we are having double espressos with our granola and yogurt to start the day. Typecast, he has developed a little collection of shakers, spoons, stove top espresso makers, cups of all sizes and a nifty little sign. The only thing missing from his life? Decadent little clouds of espresso mousse cheesecakes, individually crafted especially for him. Honey, these are for you, I love you.
Espresso Cheese (Cup)cakes - adapted from Little Cafe Cakes by Julie Le Clerc.
24 silicone cupcake liners
200g chocolate cookie crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
100g butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp powdered gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
300g cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
200g dark chocolate
1 cup hot strong espresso coffee
1 1/4 cups cream, whipped
1. Mix cookie crumbs with sugar, cinnamon and butter. Press into bottoms of 24 silicone cupcake liners.
2. Sprinkle gelatin over measured boiling water in a small bowl or cup and leave to swell.
3. Beat cream cheese and sugar together until smooth. Melt chocolate in hot coffee, stir until smooth and beat into cream cheese mixture.
4. Heat bowl of prepared gelatin in a water bath, or microwave oven for 40 seconds to dissolve. Mix well into filling.
5. Allow mixture to cool before folding in whipped cream. Pour over prepared bases in silicone cupcake liners and refrigerate overnight to set.
6. Freeze for at least 3 hours and remove liners to serve. They will soften fairly quickly and are beautifully cool and mousse like.
7. Decorate with whipped cream and an espresso bean.
8. Share with someone that you love.
Iron Cupcake is proud to have some fantastic sponsors and great prizes!
ETSY artist ART ON THE MENU with her awesome little cardboard cupcake, and a pair of cupcake earrings from Lots of Sprinkles . As an added bonus for October only we have a sassy and sweet T from Bakelove Bakewear. Last and certainly not least, don’t forget our corporate prize providers: HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS, HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, JESSIE STEELE APRONS ; the CUPCAKE COURIER ; TASTE OF HOME books. Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers.