Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You Want Pies With That? The Big Chill.


Harold: Nick, help me with all these bleeding hearts!
Nick: I know what Alex would say.
Harold: What?
Nick: What's for dessert?
Nick: .......I’m not cynical about dessert.

My favourite movie of all time is The Big Chill.


The Big Chill is a 1983 film directed by Lawrence Kasdan about a group of baby boomer college friends who reunite after many years after one of the group suddenly commits suicide. It stars Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, and JoBeth Williams. Talk about your all star cast!


My favourite character is Nick, William Hurt, a radio psychologist with a drug habit who questions the ethical nature of what he does for a living. He returned from Vietnam "a changed man" What are you getting at? I was evolving, I'm still evolving.



For the "I Love That Movie!" debut month of You Want Pies With That? I chose The Big Chill as my movie theme for my pie as - first, it is my favourite movie. Second, I made my pie from different fruits that I had in the freezer.

The Big Chill Pie


I made Dorie Greenspan's Good for Almost Anything Pie Crust.
In an 8 cup measuring glass, I heaped sliced peaches, cherries and strawberries and let them defrost while I made dinner. I drained the fruit in a colander, tossed it with juice and zest of 1/2 lemon, 1 tsp vanilla extract and a handful of white sugar. I let it drain again and added a bit of cornstarch and some more sugar. I made a hole in the center of the top crust with a cookie cutter, added some slits for ventilation, brushed with whipping cream and sprinkled with turbinado sugar, and baked at 400 degrees for about an hour. I did turn the oven down to 375 after a while as my oven sometimes runs hot. The verdict? Delish, we ate it for breakfast.


Sam Weber: [Sam enters a room where Nick is up late watching TV] What's this?
Nick: I'm not sure.
Sam Weber: What's it about?
Nick: I don't know.
Sam Weber: [Sam shakes his head, pats Nick on the shoulder, then sits in a nearby chair] Who's that?
Nick: I think the guy in the hat did something terrible. [shot of TV shows a man being thrown through the glass window of a door]
Sam Weber: Like what?
Nick: You're so analytical! Sometimes you just have to let art... flow... over you. [Sam rolls his eyes]




Hands down, The Big Chill has history's best soundtrack. "There is no other music"



Nick: Wise up, folks. We're all alone out there and tomorrow we're going out there again.



Feel free to head over to You Want Pies With That? and check out some of the other creations. You can even vote for your favourite pie!

Michael: You see, Sarah, Harold, we took a secret vote. We're not leaving. We're never leaving.