Friday, 28 November 2008

All in the Family: Tyler Florence's Wife's Mom's Potato Salad.


I am having one of those weeks. It is the end of the month, I have been cooking and baking my little heart out and my fridge is full of food. I have 2 different kinds of homemade bread, 2 desserts, soup, pulled pork and some odds and ends. So, what to make for Tyler Florence Fridays? I wanted a salad. A nice side to go with the pork or something we can have in lunches.

Luckily I found this potato salad in Tyler's Ultimate and it fit the bill. I had all the ingredients in the house and it would be great for bagged lunches.

I have seen other people online make potato salad with dill pickle in the recipe and I was eager to give it a try. I did have to sub grainy country French mustard for the Dijon as, even though I have five different kinds of mustard in the house, I didn't have straight Dijon. (In case you were wondering - I have maple, extra hot, fig and balsamic, grainy country and ballpark.)
I really liked this potato salad, I did end up adding a little chopped celery just because I like a little crunch in my spud salad. I loved the tanginess of the dill pickle - I would definitely make this one again. (Only six more months til burger season!)

Tolan's Mom's Potato Salad, Tyler's Ultimate, page 190.
SERVES 4 -6
Ingredients:
2 lbs small Yukon gold potatoes
2 large eggs
Kosher salt
1/2 bunch of sliced scallions, white and green parts
2 tablespoons drained capers
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles with 1/4 cup juice
1 small red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Freshly ground pepper
Olive oil, for drizzling
Directions:
Place potatoes and eggs in saucepan of cold, salted water.
Bring to a simmer.
After 12 minutes remove eggs with a slotted spoon and let cool.
Continue cooking potatoes until tender.
Drain potatoes in a colander and let them cool.
Reserve some scallion greens and capers for garnish.
Meanwhile, stir together mayonnaise, mustard, pickles with juice, onions, remaining scallions and capers, parsley and lemon juice in a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes.
Peel the cooled eggs and grate them into the bowl.
Peel cooled potatoes with a paring knife. (I left the peels on)
Cut potatoes into chunks and toss with the dressing to coat.
Season to taste with salt and pepper .
Garnish with reserved scallions and capers.
Drizzle with a little olive oil before serving.