Sunday, 23 November 2008

Baked Potato Soup for Souper Sundays


Feeling Souper? I know I am!

This Sunday I have made a baked potato soup for Deb of Kahakai Kitchen's Souper Sunday. The baked potato soup is something that I had never heard of until a couple of weeks ago and then ran into it a couple of times in a row on the internet. (Funny how that happens) As I had recently purchased a whopping 15 pound bag of baking potatoes, I thought I would give it a try. Why 15 pounds? Hey, a sale's a sale!

The premise of a baked potato soup is that it tastes like a baked potato. Well that just has to be good, doesn't it? I left the spuds in the slow cooker and took my oldest son out shopping for his 17th birthday. 5 hours later all I had to do was add the creamy ingredients, season and let simmer another 20 minutes and add the bacon and green onions. Perfect for that apres-mall coma.

Think Sunday is the perfect day to make soup, stew, and other slow-cooked or saucy dishes? Visit Kahakai Kitchen to find out about playing along.

from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook
Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufman

Gina's Baked Potato Soup, pages 72, 73.
Large slow cooker, serves 12
5 pounds russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
8 ounces bacon, cooked until crisp, drained on paper towels, and crumbled
6 green onions, sliced, or 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives

1. Put the potatoes in the slow cooker and add water to cover. Cover and cook on HIGH until the potatoes are cooked and falling apart, about 5 hours.
2. Turn the cooker to LOW, add the butter, half and half, and sour cream, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until hot, about 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the crumbled bacon and sliced green onions. Serve immediately or keep warm on LOW, adding water or milk to thin if necessary.
~
This soup is so nice for the end of a hectic day. A green salad would balance it nicely but I was feeling too lazy to make one. I halved the recipe and made it in my smaller slow cooker, it really does taste like a baked potato.
~
Addicted to Tyler Florence Fridays yet? Come play with us in this brand new cooking group where you decide which Tyler Florence recipe to make each week. Choose, create and share - round-up every Friday on the TFF blogsite.