Thursday, 6 November 2008


It has arrived!

I was so excited to find a package addressed to me sitting on the doorstep yesterday morning. For the first time, I have participated in Blogging By Mail - a fun exchange created by Stephanie, the Happy Sorceress from Dispensing Happiness, that sees care packages sent all over the world. Like opening up a stocking, early!

Lo and behold, my sender was a person I was already familiar with. Judy from Judy's Gross Eats. We have both been participating in several baking and cooking groups together, and have exchanged many happy and encouraging thoughts. What a great surprise to get a package in the mail from her, and a note saying how happy she was to pick my name. How sweet is that?!
The package contained many goodies, including gourmet doggie biscuits. I know some puppies are going to be very happy! Lotion and a scented candle, for spoiling myself. Treats... for spoiling myself. And did you see that gourmet chocolate? I have only read about it online, I am very excited to try it. If any of my kids are reading this - no, it is not for you. Not even a bite. Thank you so much Judy, you have made my day.

And, from my good friend Debbie from Kahakai Kitchen has given me the Kreativ Blogger Award and a meme of 7s and a desert island scenario. Read on, if you would like to know more about me. Just to prove that no good deed goes unpunished - I am passing the award and memes to Judy, my fellow bread baker. Judy deserves the Kreative Blogger Award because she, like me, continues to challenge herself to become a better baker and more well-rounded cook, via her associations through the blogosphere. Judy - do with them what you will.

7s meme

7 things I did before
1. Chairperson of a non-profit organization.
2. Travelled the world - as a baby.
3. Office assistant to a financial planner.
4. Ran a housewares department.
5. Worked in a restaurant - never again.
6. Volunteered at a breakfast club. (with my daughter)
7. Worked the frozen yogurt machine one summer when I was 14. I gained 20 pounds that summer.
7 things I do now
1. Cook/bake/cook/bake/cook/bake
2. Nap
3. Throw squeaky toys
4. Walkies
5. Read/write
6. Collect baking pans, cookbooks, etc.
7. Talk to myself, the dogs, the television, etc.
7 things I want to do
1. Take a cake decorating course.
2. Go on a Mediterranean cruise.
3. Write a book.
4. Adopt more puppies.
5. Meet Leonard Cohen.
6. Renovate my basement.
7. Learn how to make cheese.
7 things that attract me about the opposite sex - in no particular order
1. Tall, dark and handsome - counts as one, doesn’t it?
2. Worships the ground I walk on.
3. Sense of humour.
4. Etiquette.
5. Intelligence.
6. Kindness, generosity.
7. Strong work ethic. (Hey, one of us has to have one.)
7 favorite foods
1. Bread
2. Pasta
3. Cheese
4. Bacon
5. Ice cream
6. Chicken wings
7. Sushi
7 things I say most often:
1. You’ll live.
2. Pardon? Or, Sorry?
3. Awww. Who’s cute?
4. Shut the @#$% up. Seriously.
5. There is no such thing as too much garlic.
6. Don’t give your mother a hard time.
7. I am never leaving the house again.

Dessert Island Scenario: "You are stranded on a desert island for an indefinite amount of time. You can bring along five food items and are allowed one sentence to justify your decision. It is an island, so assume plentiful fish, coconuts, and sea salt. Storage is not an issue, as you also have a large solar powered refrigerator."
I am also going with Deb’s assumption that lemons and limes are available on the island.

1) Good European Bread. Soft in the middle and crusty on the outside.
2) Garlic. Because garlic goes with everything.
3) Wine. I am going to need it for cooking and drinking. So lots.
4) Pasta. Fresh egg pasta.
5) Olive oil - the good stuff. I am going to need it with my pasta, garlic, fish, bread…. Also to keep my skin soft.

I realize that I have no produce. If anyone comes to visit - bring fruit, I will share my bounty with you.