Friday, 7 November 2008

Bread Baking Day #14, It's Not Easy Being Green.


It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that


It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky



But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree


When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be
~
This month's Bread Baking Day is hosted by Boaz from Grain Power. He has selected coloured breads as his theme. The catch? They have to be naturally coloured by their ingredients, not by food colourings or dyes. I chose green in honour of one of my favourite poet/musicians, Kermit the Frog. I found this recipe for Rustic Spinach Feta Bread, and added a quarter cup of (green) pesto for good measure. I did have to add a bit more flour to soak up some of the pesto but I did it by feel. The dough should be wet, like ciabatta, when you first make it. The recipe is originally from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.
The bread smelled and tasted fantastic. We didn't even put anything on it. What a delight for the senses. It was more predominantly green before baking, making me wish I had some raw dough shots. C'est la vie! Want to make a coloured bread for Bread Baking Day #14? You have until the end of November - click here for details.
~
The frogs you see are Balinese (I think) Flying Frogs and they reside in my living room. I picked them up about 8 years ago in the city at a fair trade type artists' co-op. I thought that they would enjoy being a part of my tribute to Kermit the Frog and green bread.