Saturday, 1 November 2008

German Apple Pancake


This week in My Kitchen, My World, we have travelled to Germany. As I have already done an Oktoberfest type of post this month, I decided to make one of my old favourites - German Apple Pancake from The Vegetarian Epicure. At 5am. Today.
The nice thing about this recipe is that the pancake is made in the oven. The not so nice thing is that, in my early risen state - I grabbed onto the oven-hot stainless steel handle with my bare hand. This is why I had to wait another 8 hours before posting the pancake. Searing pain and blisters aside, the recipe is excellent. Please, wear a glove.

I find that non-stick works best, make sure you have a pan that is oven-safe.
I love this book, it is almost as old as me. It no longer has a cover or binding, but it is still a favourite.

German Apple Pancake - The Vegetarian Epicure

Pancake:
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
11/2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup thin-sliced apples (optional)

Filling:
1 lb tart, fresh apples
1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Topping:
2 Tbs melted butter (optional)
powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Beat together the eggs, milk, flour and salt until very smooth. ( I use the stand mixer.) Add some sliced apples if desired.
In a heavy 12 inch pan, melt about 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. When it is quite hot, pour in the batter and put pan into oven. After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 10 minutes. The pancake should be light brown and crisp.
During the first 10 or 15 minutes of baking, the pancake might puff up in large bubbles. If it does, pierce it thoroughly with a fork or skewer.
While the pancake is baking, prepare the apple filling. Peel and thinly slice the pound of apples. (I don't tend to peel them.) Sauté them lightly in the 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar. Season to taste with the cinnamon and nutmeg. The apples should be just slightly tender-not too soft.
When the pancake is ready, slide it onto an oval platter, pour the apples over one side and then fold the other side over. Drizzle with melted butter if you wish. Sift powdered sugar over the pancake and serve hot.

If you are me, you can eat your delicious pancake with your hand wrapped around an ice pack and tears streaming down your face. Thank you to hubby for taking the pictures, doing the dishes and icing my hand. I am feeling much better now.