Tuesday, 11 November 2008

Kugelhopf of Love


Tuesday is the sweetest day.
~
This week in Tuesdays With Dorie, Yolanda of The All-Purpose Girl has selected Kugelhopf on pages 61-63 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home To Yours. Please visit Yolanda's site for the recipe.

This strange bakery item seems to be neither cake nor bread. Sort of delightful hybrid that captures your attention and keeps you guessing.



I have one confession to make. I could not find a kugelhopf pan. I am so ashamed. I searched for days, hubby searched, to no avail. Finally, on Saturday, I was about to start the recipe sans kugelhopf pan. Then hubby said, "It really is too bad you didn't find the pan, do you want to try a couple more places tomorrow?" Really, that was enough to put tears in my eyes. To have a man understand what having the right pan means to me. Alas, we still didn't find one - but I am touched by how hard he tried.

I used my Nordic Ware star shaped bundt pan. It seemed to do the trick. I reduced the temperature to 350 as the finish on the pan is dark. This recipe takes a full day of prep, but I am used to that with bread baking. Most of the time is passive.



How did it turn out? Wonderfully. It was light and tender and imposibly soft. The touch of butter and crunch of sugar hint at dessert while the tender crumb is like a very light challah.

I have fallen in love with kugelhopf.


Check out the TWD blogroll to see how the others fared.
~
New This Week!
Tyler Florence Fridays.
Want to cook along with the recipes of Food Network's hottest chef?
Check it out here.