Tuesday, 4 November 2008

My Heart is Full... Of Rugelach

Tuesday is the sweetest day.
This week in Tuesdays With Dorie, Piggy of Piggy’s Cooking Journal has chosen Rugelach from pages 150 and 151 of Dorie Greenspan's great baking book; Baking: From My Home To Yours. You can find the recipe on Piggy's site. On another note, I love the name Piggy! I have called my daughter Piglet or Piggy since she was born. I also call Bella, the pug, Piggy. They don't seem to be confused by this. My daughter only gets annoyed when I call her Piggy or Piglet at, say, the mall.

This is exactly why I love this group. Rugelach is something that sounded familiar to me but that I had never tried. It is certainly one of those recipes that I would have passed over in the book, due to my unfamiliarity. But would my TWD buddies let me get away with that? No they would not. Like a good girl, I made rugelach. It was pretty darned good too. The rest is on it's way to work with hubby, hope his co-workers like it. Even if he forgets what it is called before it arrives.

The nice thing about this recipe is that it can be broken up and made over the course of day. I made the dough in the early morning and put it in the fridge. Before I started making dinner, I rolled and dressed the cookies and put them in the bar fridge to chill. After dinner and clean up, I eggwashed and sugared them and popped them in the oven. Very leisurely indeed.

I used berry jam for the glaze, currants, sliced almonds and mini white chocolate chips along with the cinnamon sugar in the filling. I got 12 from each disk, rather than 16, and managed to fit them all on one large baking pan. The bottoms were fairly dark after 20 minutes - even on the silpat - but they tasted very good. I will definitely try them again.

No, I don't have a fancy stone counter, this is a 5 inch sample tile that we use as a coaster. Pretty, eh?
Check out the TWD blogroll to see how the others fared.