Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Paves de Rumsteak au Poivre Vert

Sirloin Steaks with Green Peppercorns. Or, strip loin, in our case.

Oh how I am liking setting fire to dinner. Last year I had not set fire to anything that I had eaten, save the occasional marshmallow. Now I am blazing in the kitchen on an almost regular basis. Honestly, who knew French cooking was so much fun?

This week we made a take on classic peppercorn steaks. Instead of black peppercorns we used green. The recipe seemed to be calling for jarred green peppercorns but I could only find dried. They worked just fine. In fact, I can't imagine trying to press fresh peppercorns into a steak.

Usually we do steaks on the BBQ, all year round, even here in Canada. It's just what we Canadians do. Snow may be piled around mid February, but the path to the BBQ is clear. This part of the Le Cordon Bleu at Home course is about frying though, so fry I did.

I just pressed the peppercorns into the steaks, 2 in our case, and seasoned them with kosher salt.

A mix of oil and butter in the pan, heat it up to high and place the steaks in the pan. Flip when the pan is ready to let go of the steak and cook the other side until done. Here comes the fun part: A splash of cognac (brandy in our case) and set that pan on fire! Woohoo! The flames go out on their own. (Be smart, practice all safety measures with fire) Remove steaks and let them rest. Add stock and cream to the pan and scrape up yummy bits from the bottom. Reduce by half (yay! I am reducing now. Feeling like such a chef.) And serve over steaks. Any extra sauce can be served on the side.

I made this with hubby's favourite stuffed mushrooms and a simple green salad. Um, yum!

Whisk Wednesdays is an at-home culinary learning community following Le Cordon Bleu at Home and organized by Whisk: a food blog. Check out Whisk for instructions on the dish, the blogroll and to find out how you can play along.