Tuesday, 25 November 2008

Thanksgiving Twofer Pie

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Vibi of La casserole carrée chose the Thanksgiving Twofer Pie on page 321 of Dorie Greenspan's incredible baking book, Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Vibi's site for the recipe.

Well, this was the recipe to knock me down a few pegs. All had been going smoothly in TWD for me, so it was clearly my turn to have a little trouble.

I prepped my now go-to pie crust in the morning. I have a great love for Dorie's good for almost anything pie crust and made a double batch so that I would have some on hand for another time.

In the afternoon, I prebaked the crust. For some reason it shrunk up a bit and the edges were alarmingly dark when it was done. No matter, I just trimmed them off.

In the early evening, I made the fillings. Pumpkin pie on the bottom, a layer of pecans and then the sugary pecan pie top. As soon as I started to add the top layer, it mixed with the bottom. And as for keeping the pecans in the middle? Not going to happen. No amount of poking was going to keep those babies down.

Ok, into the oven. I baked according to the instructions and pulled it out after the last 35 minutes. Then put it back in for 10 more minutes. Then put it back in for 10 more minutes. Then put it back in for 10 more minutes. Then put it back in for 10 more minutes. So, approximately 30 minutes past Dorie's outside time, my pie was done.

Would you like a bite?

It was dark, not especially pretty, I didn't have high hopes. I was also a little nervous as hubby happened to mention that the little bag of pecans cost $8. I didn't want to have ruined this pie.

I let it rest until almost room temperature.

The result? It tasted really good! I couldn't believe it. I thought for sure I had ruined it. Pumpkin pie and pecan pie are not my favourites. I like a fruit pie. But the combo seemed to bring out the best of each, I really enjoyed it. And I am not in trouble for letting $8 worth of pecans go to waste.

Check out the TWD blogroll to see how the others fared.

Addicted to Tyler Florence Fridays yet? Come play with us in this brand new cooking group where you decide which Tyler Florence recipe to make each week. Choose, create and share - round-up every Friday on the TFF blogsite.