Monday, 3 November 2008

You Want Pies With That? Blue Velvet Tarts


She wore blue velvet
Bluer than velvet was the night
Softer than satin was the light
From the stars

She wore blue velvet
Bluer than velvet were her eyes
Warmer than May her tender sighs
Love was ours


Ours a love I held tightly
Feeling the rapture grow
Like a flame burning brightly
But when she left, gone was the glow of
Blue velvet

But in my heart there'll always be
Precious and warm, a memory
Through the years
And I still can see blue velvet
Through my tears



Blue Velvet Mousse Tarts in a Vanilla Cookie Shell with Blueberry Coulis.

Vanilla Cookie Shells.
Combine 2 1/4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs with 1/2 cup melted butter and press into 6 four inch removable bottom tart shells. Chill.

Blue Velvet Mousse - adapted from Mark Bittman
3 cups blueberries, divided
1/3 cup sugar
1 lemon, halved
1 stick cinnamon
1/3 cup water, plus 1/4
1 envelope unflavoured gelatin
2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup icing sugar
3 tbsp blackberry liqueur

1. Place 2 cups blueberries, sugar, lemon, cinnamon stick, and 1/3 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer about 10 minutes, until the mixture is mostly liquid and the fruit is soft. Put through a medium-fine strainer, pushing to extract as much juice as possible. Add the last cup of whole blueberries and let cool thoroughly.

2. Put the 1/4 cup of water in a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin onto it; let stand until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whip the cream; when it is almost stiff, add the icing sugar and finish whipping. Cook the gelatin mixture over low heat, stirring, until the gelatin dissolves, about 5 minutes; add it to the fruit juice, blackberry liqueur and whipped cream, then pile the mixture into tart shells. Chill until set, about 3 hours.

Blueberry Coulis
1 cup blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp blackberry liqueur
2 tbsp water
Combine in small pot, heat on medium until starting to boil. Simmer gently 10 minutes. Cool. Press through a sieve into a clean bowl. Chill.


This is my submission for You Want Pies With That? Pies as a fashion statement.

It took a while for me to get my head around the fashion part - I'm the type of girl who, when it gets too cold for Crocs, brings out the duck boots. Someone once told me that I dressed like a painter, I'm not sure if they meant houses or canvas.
I am very happy with my pick though. I thought of the Blue Velvet theme first, and then made a tart around it. It is light and moussey and velvety. I have a couple left, if you would like one.