Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Holiday Linzer Sables

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

Today in Tuesdays with Dorie, Noskos of Living the Life chose Linzer Sables on pages 134-135 of Dorie Greenspan's wonderful baking book - Baking: from my home to yours. Please visit Noskos's site for the recipe.

This weekend hubby asked me to make some cookies for his co-workers. This makes me happy. I am a shameless seeker of love, I think that is why many of us bake. Baking for someone says: here you go, I love you - the subtext being: I want you to love me too.

I was excited to do linzer style cookies for this challenge, I had never made them before. Even more exciting, I came across a nice holiday linzer cookie cutter set while we were Christmas shopping. How could hubby refuse me under these circumstances? He simply could not.

My experience with the recipe:
I found that I had to lower the temperature of the oven and shorten the cooking time. The first batch came out too dark, even on the inside time. I also put the boiled preserves back in the fridge and used some right out of the jar. The added water and boiling made them way too watery. I am saving the syrup that I made for some vanilla ice cream.

The cookies were very nice. I haven't had this type of linzer cookie before - with the spice and the almond meal. One is certainly enough, they are filling. Hope the co-workers like them!

Click here for the TWD Blogroll to see how the others fared.
Addicted to Tyler Florence Fridays yet? Come play with us in this brand new cooking group where you decide which Tyler Florence recipe to make each week. Choose, create and share - round-up every Friday on the TFF blogsite.