Tuesday, 6 January 2009

French Pear Tart


Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Dorie Greenspan has chosen the French Pear Tart on pages 368 and 369 of her very own book, Baking: from my home to yours. Yes, everyone gets involved with Tuesdays with Dorie, even Dorie. Please see Dorie's site for the recipe, today's date.


This tart is interesting as Dorie actually recommends using canned pear halves. This came as such a surprise to hubby that he phoned me from the grocery store. "Does this really say canned pear halves?" Why yes, it does. I suppose, in retrospect, that I should have indicated canned pear halves in syrup as I found the pears packed in juice a little on the bland side.
I used Di Saronno instead of the dark rum, to complement the almond cream but the flavour may have gotten a little lost.
I also threw on a few fresh cranberries for colour and a little hit of tartness.
The shortbread type of crust is a favourite from the strawberry tart in the summer, definitely more exciting than a traditional flaky crust.
All in all we enjoyed it, especially with a little French Vanilla ice cream!

~
Addicted to
Tyler Florence Fridays yet? Come play with us in this brand new cooking group where you decide which Tyler Florence recipe to make each week. Choose, create and share - round-up every Friday on the TFF blogsite.