Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Half a Sunflower is Still Better Than No Sunflower


Tuesday is the sweetest day.
~
This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Heather of Sherry Trifle chose Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread on page 212 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Heather's site for the recipe, today's date.
Now get this: a cake made with fresh ginger and bittersweet chocolate. Crazy right? Who knew this was such an amazing combination?
I love ginger, in fact I increased the amount of fresh ginger, making up for the fact that I had no stem ginger in syrup to add to the batter.
I decided to be extra fancy and bake it in my sunflower Nordic Ware pan. I baked it for an extra 15 minutes because my oven is lagging these days. When I took it out it smelled amazing. And then..... it stuck! Two hours I had invested into this cake and a big chunk was still attached to the pan. (I really should have floured it...)
No matter, I immediately started to eat the stuck portion and decided to photograph the good half.
It would have been perfectly good without the icing. To tell you the truth I went ahead and made the icing just to make the cake look prettier. Glossy too.
The icing recipe did call for 1 tbsp of strong coffee, but I was feeling too lazy to make coffee for one tablespoon so I used Kahlua instead. Yum.
I am thinking that this is one of my favourite TWD recipes so far.
Baking: from my home to yours really is a great baking book, if you don't own it already you should seriously consider adding it to your collection. Dorie has made me a much better baker over this past year - the occasional mishap aside. Of course Dorie won't drop by today when I am saying such nice things about her - she managed to show up on the one day I said the p-word. This is my luck.
Sigh. More cake?