Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Savoury Corn Muffins

Tuesday is the sweetest day.
This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake chose Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins on page 6 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Ezra's site for the recipe, today's date.
The original recipe had these as a Southwestern style: jalapeno, chili powder, red pepper and corn niblets. This all sounded great to me, but I left the muffins to the last minute and found that I needed something with more of an Eastern flair to go with the Thai noodles I was making for dinner. I went with the plain version with the extra sugar as listed in the "playing around" section of the page, and then added a couple of tablespoons of Indonesian 5 spice blend to it. They turned out really tasty, and I am picky about my corn muffins. I baked at 375 rather than 400 and they were done right at the 20 minute mark. I think this recipe is a winner and would lend itself well to other flavourings.
*I found the Indonesian 5 spice blend on a trip to the St. Lawrence Market in the city. I am a sucker for new spices.

Addicted to
Tyler Florence Fridays yet? Come play with us in this brand new cooking group where you decide which Tyler Florence recipe to make each week. Choose, create and share - round-up every Friday on the TFF blogsite.