Tuesday, 20 January 2009

When Your Genoise Colapses, Stuff It!

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Mary Ann of Meet Me in the Kitchen chose Berry Surprise Cake on pages 273-275 of Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours. Please see Mary Ann's site for the recipe, today's date.
The recipe had several parts, a genoise sponge for the base, a syrup, filling, berries and cream. All nicely layered in a perfectly baked genoise cake, hollowed out for such wonderful applications... unless you are me and your genoise rises perfectly around the edges and falls perfectly flat in the middle. As it was now shaped like a charlotte base, I decided to just fill it as is. I gave it a good brushing with the syrup, laid down a layer of chopped strawberries, followed by the cream cheese filling, berries, more filling, a layer of halved berries and the cream.
And, ok, my cake decorating still needs work. I thought I had recovered fairly well from the collapsing genoise and had made a fairly nice looking confection until hubby mentioned that it was going to be hard to photograph with the penis sticking out of the top. I pushed the giant strawberry down a bit, now it looks hardly more than a nose. As I have said, my cake decorating needs some work.


I did note later that other chefs insist on using room temperature ingredients only when making a genoise sponge. Next time I will try that, right now I have this dense cake to eat. Well, everything is better with berries and cream!