Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Caramel Crunch Bars

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

Today in Tuesdays with Dorie, Whitney of What’s left on the table? chose Caramel Crunch Bars, page 112-113 of Dorie Greenspan's ultimate baking book, Baking: from my home to yours.
Please see Whitney's site for the recipe, today's date. (Or just buy the book, you will be glad you did!)

I made these with my son and they were greatly loved, both for their simplicity and their wonderful flavour. They are like a grown up chocolate bar. No wax, no fillers, just crunch, chocolate and great flavour. Definitely a new favourite in our house, and a reminder to keep Skor bits on hand for baking!
I followed the recipe, using Skor bits instead of Heath as we don't have Heath bits here. And I used a flavoured cappuccino mix that someone had given us instead of the espresso powder in the base of the bar.

In case you were wondering if this was the same bear from the Teddy Bear's Picnic post for Cookie Carnival last year, I assure you it is not. This is the bear that Santa brought for my daughter this Christmas, because, even though she will be twenty this year, she is never too old for a new teddy bear.

Now bear, shouldn't you be having some nutritious milk with those bars?

Very good.

"He respects Owl, because you can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right.”