Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Devil's Food White Out Cake

Tuesday is the sweetest day.

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater chose Devils Food White Out Cake, page 247-249 of Dorie Greenspan's classic book, Baking: from my home to yours. Please see Stephanie's site for the recipe, today's date.

I am a daydreamer. I am generally thinking about something else when I cook, bake, watch tv or walk the dogs. This can result in me overshooting my house as I walk home, and entering rooms without any idea what I went in there for. (You will be happy to know that I don't drive)
While I was making this cake, I was thinking of some of my TWD friends. As I chose a baking pan, I thought about Caitlin from Engineer Baker and all the cute little minis she makes out of her TWD treats. I decided to make mine in my little four inch springform heart-shaped pans and wondered if she would do the same. Valentine's day is over, but I still have the urge to make things in the shape of a heart. Perhaps we should consider a Valentine's Week.

As I started to boil sugar and water together, I thought about Cathy from The Tortefeasor. I was hoping that she was not doing laundry, or answering the phone. I was concerned for her range-top. I am sure that my concern for Cathy and boiling sugar had something to do with me dumping the cream of tartar into the egg whites instead of the sugar water. I supposed there must have been good reason it was called for in the sugar water so I put it in there too. I don't really know what cream of tartar is and hope that it is not harmful to have a double dose. Just in case, I will be cautious about my mercury intake this week - one doesn't want to take any chances.

Dorie says that this is a messy, stick your face in it cake and I believe her. Just look at it. Don't you want to stick your face in it? Just in case, there is another one in the fridge for you. Don't say I never thought about you!